- Karnataka Act NO.25 of 1974 (First published in the Karnataka gazette extraordinary on the 21st day of august 1974.)
- Karnataka Urban Water Supply & Drainage Board Act, 1973 (Received the assent of the President on the 14th Day of August 1974.)
An act to provide for the establishment of a Water Supply and Drainage Board and the regulation and development of drinking water and drainage facilities in the urban areas of the State of Karnataka.
Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of a Water Supply and Drainage Board and the regulation and development of drinking water and drainage facilities in the Urban areas of the State of Karnataka and for matters connected there with..
1. Short Title, Extent and Commencement :
- This Act may be called the Karnataka Urban Water Supply and Drainage Board Act, 1973.
- It extends to the whole of the State of Karnataka other than the City of Bangalore.
- It shall come into force on such date as the State Government may, by notification, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different areas.
2. Definitions :
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires :
- “Board” means the Karnataka Urban Water Supply and Drainage Board constituted under Section 4.
- “Building” means a house, out-house, stable, latrine, urinal, shed, hut or any other structure, whether of masonry bricks, wood, mud, metal or other material, but does not include any portable shelter.
- “Bye-laws” means bye-laws made by the Board under this Act.
- “Chairman” means the Chairman of the Board.
- “Committee” means any committee appointed under Section 14.
- “Communication pipe” means.
- Where the premises supplied with water abuts the street in which the main is laid, and the service pipe enters that premises otherwise than through the outer wall of a building on the street and has a stopcock placed in that premises and as near to the boundary of that street as is reasonably practicable, so much of the service pipe as lies between the main and that stopcock.
- In any other case, so much of the service pipe as lies between the main and the boundary of the street in which the main is laid, and includes the ferrule at the junction of the service pipe with the main, and also.
- Where the communication pipe ends at a stopcock, that stopcock, and
- Any stopcock fitted on the communication pipe between the end thereof and the main
- “Director” means a director of the board and includes the Chairman and the Managing Director.
- “Drain” includes sewer, tunnel, a culvert, a ditch, a channel and any other device for carrying off sewage, offensive matter, polluted water, waste water, rain water or sub-soil water.
- “Drainage” means the device for carrying off sewage, offensive matter, polluted water, waste water, rain water or sub-soil water.
- “Executive Engineer” means the officer appointed by the Board to be the Executive Engineer and includes any officer placed in additional charge of the duties of the Executive Engineer.
- “Government” means the State Government.
- “Land” includes benefits to arise out of land, things attached to the earth or permanently fastened to anything attached to the earth and rights created by law over any street.
- “Licensed plumber” means a person licensed under the provisions of this Act as a plumber
- “Local area” means an area within the jurisdiction of a local authority
- “Local authority” means a municipal corporation, a municipal council, a sanitary board or a notified area committee constituted or continued under any law for the time being in force.
- “Main” means a pipe laid for the purpose of giving a general supply of water as distinct from a supply to individual consumer and includes any apparatus used in connection with such a pipe.
- “Occupier” includes ; -
- any person who, for the time being, is paying or is liable to pay to the owner the rent or any portion of the rent of the land or building in respect of which such rent is paid or is payable.
- an owner in occupation of, or otherwise using his land or building,
- a rent free tenant of any land or building
- a licensee in occupation of any land or building, and
- any person who is liable to pay the owner damages for the use and occupation of any land or building.
- “Owner” includes a person who for the time being is receiving or is entitled to receive, the rent of any land or building whether on his own account or on account of himself and others or as an agent, trustee, guardian or receiver for any other person or who should so receive the rent or be entitled to receive it if the land or building or part thereof were let to a tenant.
- “Premises” means any land or building or part of building and ; includes–
- the garden, ground and out house, if any, appertaining to a building or part of a building, and
- any fittings affixed to a building or part of a building for the more beneficial enjoyment thereof.
- “Regulation” means a regulation made under this Act.
- “Scheme” means any scheme relating to drinking water and drainage and such matters incidental thereto and includes a draft scheme prepared for the above purpose.
- “Service pipe” means so much of any pipe for supplying water from a main to any premises as is subject to water pressure from that main, or would be so subject but for the closing of some tap.
- “Sewage” means night soil and contents of other latrines, urinals, cesspools or drains, and polluted water from sinks, bathrooms, stables, cattle sheds and other like places and includes trade effluents and discharges from manufactures of all kinds.
- “Sewer” means a closed conduit for carrying off sewage, offensive matter, polluted water, waste water or sub-soil water.
- “Shed” means a slight or temporary structure for shade or shelter.
- “Street” includes any way, road, lane, square, court, alley, gully, passage, whether a thoroughfare or not and whether built upon or not over which the public have a right of way and also the roadway or footway over any bridge or cause-way.
- “Supply pipe” means so much of any service pipe as is not a communication pipe.
- “Trade effluent” means any liquid either with or without particles of matter in suspension therein, which is wholly or in part produced in the course of any trade or industry carried on at trade premises, and in relation to any trade premises, means any such liquid as aforesaid which is so produced in the course of any trade or industry carried on at such premises, but does not include domestic sewage.
- “Trade premises” means any premises used or intended to be used for carrying on any trade or industry.
- “Trade refuse” means the refuse of any trade or industry.
- “Trunk main” means a main constructed for the purpose of conveying water from a source of supply to a filter or reservoir or from one filter or reservoir to another filter or reservoir or for the purpose of conveying water in bulk from one part of the limits of supply to another part of those limits, or for the purpose of giving or taking a supply of water in bulk.
- “Water course” includes any river, stream or channel whether natural or artificial.
- “Water fittings” includes pipes (other than mains) taps, cocks, valves, ferrules, meters, cisterns, baths and other similar apparatus used in connection with the supply and use of water.
- “Water works” includes all lakes, tanks, streams, cisterns, springs, pumps, wells, reservoirs, aqueducts, water trucks, sluices, mains, culverts, pipes, hydrants, stand pipes and conduits and all lands, buildings, machinery, bridges and things used for or intended for the purposes of supplying water.
3. Creation and Incorporation of the Board :
The duty of carrying out the provisions of this Act shall, subject to the restrictions, conditions and limitations therein contained be vested in a board to be called, the Karnataka Urban Water Supply and Drainage Board and such Board shall be body corporate and have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. Constitution of the Board:
- The Board shall consist of : -
- A Chairman.
- A Managing Director.
- Three directors to represent respectively the Government Secretariat Department dealing in :-
- Health and Municipal Administration.
- Public Works.
- Four directors to represent the local authorities, one from each revenue division.
- Eight other directors of whom four shall be persons,pocessing wide experience in the field of public health engineering with reference to water supply or drainage or disposal of the industrial wastes,who are not employed by the government or a local authority or a corporation owned or controlled by the government.
- The Chairman and the Managing Director shall possess the prescribed qualification.They and the other directors shall be appointed by the government.
16. Functions of the Board
- The Board shall be charged with the functions of providing financial assistance by way of loans and advances to local authority in the state for assisting in providing for the following amenities namely :-
- Water Supply and drainage for urban areas ; and
- Other activities which are entrusted to the Board from time to time by the Government.
17. Other Function of the Board
The Board shall perform all or any of the following functions, namely : -
1. a. at the instance of the Government or a local authority “or suo motu”.
- investigating the nature and type of schemes that can be implemented in the area of any local authority for the provision of drinking water and drainage facilities
- Planning and preparing of schemes including schemes covering areas falling within the jurisdiction of more than one local authority for the purpose of providing the supply of dinking water or drainage facilities :
- Executing such schemes under a phased programme for the provision of drinking water and drainage facilities within the areas of local authorities to which such schemes relate ;
- Operation and maintenance of drinking water supply and drainage undertakings either wholly or in part and subject to such terms and conditions as the Government may, specify
- Levy and collection of water rates, fees, rentals and other charges in respect of such undertakings as the State Government may, specify
b.providing technical assistance or giving advice to local authorities in the execution and maintenance of urban water supply and drainage works
c. establishing and maintaining schemes incidental to urban water supply and drainage such as testing of water, designing of plant for purification of water, conducting research relating to urban water supply and maintaining farm schemes
d. Any other matter which is supplemental, incidental or consequential to any of the above functions ; and
e. such other functions as may be prescribed
2. No scheme estimated to cost more than ten lakhs of rupees shall be carried out by the Board except with the previous approval of the State Government.
18. General Powers of the Board:
The Board shall for the purpose of carrying out its functions under this Act, have the following power namely.
- to acquire and hold such movable and immovable property as it deems necessary and to lease, sell or otherwise transfer any such property subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.
- to acquire under the Land Acquisition Act, 1894 (Central Act I of 1894) any land or any interest therein required by the Board for implementing any scheme.
- to incur expenditure and undertake any work in any area in the State for the preparation and execution of such schemes as it may consider necessary for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act or as the case may be, the functions entrusted to it by the Government.
- to enter into any contract, and
- to do all things necessary for the purpose of carry-out the provisions of this Act.
|Sl.No||Name and Designation||Position||Land line||Mobile||E-mail ID|
|1||Sri. Shivanand S Patil|
Hon’ble Chairman, KUWS&D Board, Bengaluru.
|2||Dr. J. Ravishankar, IAS,|
Managing Director, KUWS&D Board, Bengaluru.
|3||Shri.Anjum Parwez, IAS,|
Secretary to Government,(M&UDA), Urban Development
|4||Shri. Pavan Kumar Palamatti, IAS,|
Deputy Secretary-III, Finance Department,
|5||Dr.Vishal. R, IAS|
Commissioner for Municipal Administration Government of Karnataka, Bengaluru
|6||Shri V. Govindaraju,|
Deputy Secretary Water resources
|7||Shri. J. Jagadeesh, KAS,|
Commissioner, Mysuru City Corporation, Mysuru.
|8||Major Siddalingaiah, KAS,|
Commissioner, HDMC, Hubballi.
|9||Sri Sunilkumar, IAS Commissioner,|
Kalaburagi City Corporation, Kalaburagi.
|10||Sri. Prasada Reddy |
S/o. Late Guruwara Reddy, No.3, 4 th Cross, Vinayakanagara, Annasandrapalya,
Bangalore – 560016.
Kanakapura Town, Kanakapura Tq,
|12||Sri Sathyappa Beerappa Bagennavar,|
kokkatnoor, Athani, Athani Tq,
N.198, 4 th Main Road,, Railway
Men’s House Building Co-operative Society, Ramakrishnanagar, Nandini
Layout, Bangalore – 560 096.
House No.5, “Muneshwara Nilaya”, ISRO Layout, Manakola, Bangalore.
|15||Sri. R.Devaraja |
S/o. Sri.T.Ramegowda, House
No.27, Old Grama Panchayath
Office, Metagalli, Mysore Tq
and District. Director
|16||Sri. Sharanappa Balloor,|
LIG 12, HUDCo, KHB Colony,
Bidar Tq and District.